Basic cleaner/polish for dull and scratched paint (sorry for English!)

Aloittaja Kartell, 08.08.17 - klo:10:00

« edellinen - seuraava »

Kartell

Hello,

Sorry for the post in English, my Finnish is not so great.

I’m a Dutch guy living in Helsinki and recently I bought a metallic black 2003 Golf MK4 GTI.
The exterior of the car is in quite good condition, but it does have a few small scratches around the doorhandles and the paint is a bit dull on some areas.
In the Netherlands we have this cleaner/polish product called “Commandant No. 4” it comes in a can and can be used on all sorts of paint surfaces.
I’ve used this product on many cars with excellent result and I was wondering what kind of comparable product I could find at Motonet for example.
I’m a bit cautious since you can do quite a bit of harm on the paint when not using the right chemicals.
My father in law has a pretty basic polishing machine that I’m thinking of using, so whatever product is recommended, it also has to be suitable for mechanical application.

Best Regards,

Kartell

jantsu

Hi Kartell,

If you plan to do polishing with machine, Scholl Concepts S20 from Motonet is quite popular. Used in right way with right tools and preparations, should leave quite good surface. Of course needs wax after polishing. I think Scholl Navy Blue polishing pad would be suitable with this. Rewiew: https://youtu.be/CoVdE-IQuVQ

Autoglym golden+red is also popular combo. Not sure if can be applied by machine?

One option might be using covering product, instead polishing. Bilt hammer Auto-Balm or Poorboys Black Hole for example. Can be bought at least from Finnish car care webshops like Autonhoitokauppa, Autodude etc
Superb 2011 2.0 TDI CR 140 DSG

Kartell

Hei Jantsu, thanks for your reply!

I will check the items that you listed, I'm familiar with Autoglym, good products in my opinion.

I've also noticed that the car has many, many swirls. Now I'm thinking if I should cut the paint first with some compound, then give it a good polish and finally finish it off with some wax.

Oh and I was looking for some claybar, but only found Sonax blue. I'm the kind of guy that likes to buy everything in the shop rather than online but Motonet seems to be the only place that sells clay?

mabe

Hi Kartell,

Motonet sells Autoglym clay too, at least in detailing package (i bought one this summer).
http://www.motonet.fi/fi/tuote/602750/AutoGlym-Surface-Detailing-Claykit

That package contains tiny box of Red wax (for cleaning surface as well as protect a bit), quick wax for clay lubrication and the clay.
Seems to be ok stuff, but no real experience for the best waxes, clays etc.

The clay and other "special" car maintenance items are more often bought through online shops as it is a hobby not for everyone.
There is still majority of car people who use one bucket, whatever sponge they get their hands on and any detergent to clean car so most shops have only basic cleaning products and tools.

Like mentioned by jantsu, the webshops are your best bet for good variety of products, if that is out of question, then I would pick Motonet and its stock items for easy access.

edit. Another place for cheap clay etc is Biltema, http://www.biltema.fi/fi/Autonhoito/Pesu-ja-puhdistus/Vahaus-ja-kiillotus/Clay-Bar-Kit-2000031054/

Kartell

Hi Mabe, thanks for your reply!
I've been to Motonet today, and found pretty much all the stuff I was looking for:

Obviously first step is to wash the car, then clay it with the Sonax blue clay. After that I'm going to use one of the Scholl polishing pads to apply the Scholl S40 anti swirl compound and the other one for the Autoglym red. Then I'm going to apply the Autoglym gold and finish it off with some Sonax carnauba spray wax, both applied with microfiber cloths.

Let's hope for great results :)

Kartell

The job has been done! I wanted to share the endresult and thank you guys for the great tips.

Rauska

NYX RS E-Tron Gt 2022
EX E-Tron Sportback Progres Plus 55 quattro 2022
EX Audi e Tron GT 2021
EX A3  A3 Sportback TFSI mild hybrid 110 kW
EX A4 Avant 2016 2.0 TFSI Quattro
Ex A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI q 2015
Ex A3 SB 1.8 q Business Sport S-Tronic -13
EX A5 SB 2.0T q business -10.
Ex A3 1.4 T s-tronic -09.

Kartell

Kiitos Rauska  :) it was a big job, nearly 5 hours but it was worth it.

Lakiasiaintoimisto Lehtonen Oy